Thursday, November 16, 2023

Chess Film Post-Production: Technical Difficulties


Technical Issues I Ran Into

When I first went into editing the film, I wasn't too worried about running into technical problems and feared that the worst that could happen was a problem when exporting the project. I didn't stress about losing actual parts of the edit or having trouble opening the project. However after editing the project for a week now that would be nowhere near the worst of it. 

The first issue I ran into was trying to open the editing software I was using, premiere rush, on my computer. I was able to install it and log in without issue, but when I went into the project it would never load and eventually force quit. I decided it was easiest to just use my phone. 

I eventually was able to create a rough cut of our film with some our specific shots we knew we were going to use edited down and trimmed. I was entering the fine cut portion of the film. However, when I went to go back into the project, I was hit with an error message.

Backups I made after the first project was lost

The project wouldn't open up and I tried everything I could search up to get back into it. I log out and back in and even reinstalled, but nothing was working. I had to restart completely but luckily it was early enough in the process where it wouldn't take too long.

Lastly, another issue I faced was editing during class time as there were issues with the WIFI, and I was once again unable to edit with a computer and had to stick to phone which left a small screen for my group to see.  

Error message I received for the first project

Honestly this experience was very eye opening. I felt as though everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong besides the final project getting corrupted or something along those lines. However, this experience did teach me the importance of finding way around technical errors. For instance, I didn't really think twice about making backups or copies of the project but after I was unable to re-enter the project that one time, I made sure to create a backup after every couple of changes just so I wouldn't have to restart again. I saw that editing wasn't going to be the smooth ride that I initially believed it was going to be, but instead a process where everything I worked on could be gone in a second and that it's my responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production Portfolio: The Final Cut