Sunday, November 5, 2023

Chess Film Pre-Production: Shot List Completion

Finishing the Shot List

My team got together to finish up our production portfolio.  We saw we were mostly done with a majority of the portfolio. However, we were mainly missing the shot list and the storyboard from the cinematographer. We had some shots drawn out on our story board already which helped me envision what the shots I want to use in the final cut should look like. 

Beginning of the storyboard for our group's chess film

We knew that the storyboard wouldn't take that long once we had our shot list down. However, the shot list got cluttered and the format got all messed up which made it somewhat unreadable. We essentially had to start it again. 

Original shot list, had weird gaps and broken up text that made it hard to read.


The cinematographer had to do each shot line by line again, but it was made easier as it was already previously written down. This process of creating the shot list took longer than expected as the cinematographer ran into technical errors. I had no part to be done for the portfolio yet, so I decided to look at it to help get it done. Looking over it, I saw all the details and notes that went into every shot. I now knew about the information the shot list held that could keep in mind when working on the shot log such as how specific movements are made like the intensity of moving a chess piece and what that should look like. 

I realized that I shouldn't just assist in the creation of the shot list but also immerse myself in the content of the rest of my group. I learned that I should be actively involved in the work of my group members. At first, I felt as though I should only get involved when help was specifically asked of me as to not feel like an unnecessary bother. However, as I looked at and worked on the shot list, I saw that this document would serve as a guide for the ideal shot that I would be looking for and that I shouldn't just rely on our cinematographer to get it done alone but instead go through the process with them. This document was my blueprint or outline for the ideal shot that I would be using when editing. I should know this document thoroughly and the best way to do that was to be a part of it. It made me think about the other documents that would be key when editing. 

My original way of thinking about my current contribution was flawed. I shouldn't get involved when helped is asked but instead actively participate in other's works while I still can. The freedom I have in pre-production allows for me to be an active member in all areas of our film and have a good understanding on what to look for when making our final cut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production Portfolio: The Final Cut